Thursday, December 27, 2012

Hearty Vegan Chili:


Since I was snowed in yesterday, I decided that it was finally time for me to make some chili. This is  hearty and comforting, just as chili should be. It kept me warm on my long post-meal snowmobile ride too! Hope that you're all staying warm! I'm heading back to Florida next week, and hoping that it warms up there so that I can get a tan. I'm looking ghostly.

If you like  your chili spicy, feel free to add more cayenne and/or hot sauce. This chili can be done in 20 minutes, but the flavor develops more the longer you cook it.  

Ingredients:

1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 bell pepper, diced into 1/4 or 1/2 inch sections (I used yellow)
1 cup yellow onions, diced
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 1/2 tbsp. chili powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
Dash of paprika
Dash of cayenne (to taste)
Dash of oregano
Dash of thyme
Dash of black pepper
1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar

Serves 6.
Total Cook Time: 1 hour. 

Instructions:

1. Add the garlic, bell pepper, onions, and 1 tbsp. of the olive oil to a large sauce pot. Sauté on medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes.

2. Pour in the diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and water. Stir in the salt, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, oregano, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.

3. Stir in the fresh parsley and remaining olive oil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 35 minutes, tasting and adding more seasonings (if desired) half-way through cooking.

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Colynn - it might have to wait for our weather to cool down, but I will look forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know the feeling. Lol...I've been waiting to make chili for quite some time now.

      Delete
  2. looks super yummy! Reminds me that I need to make some too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...