Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Adventures in Vegan "Cheese" Making: Part 2:

Twist on Raw Cashew Cheese: Cashew "Cheddar" Cheese:


I saw this Simple 3 Ingredient Cashew Cheese Recipe online a long time ago, but I haven't had the chance to make it. I had been soaking cashews for a day or to over the weekend, and I cooked sauerkraut the other day, so I had some of the starter (juice) left over. As a result, I figured that it was time to try this recipe out. However, I did add a few ingredients. The sauerkraut starter, nutritional yeast, and tahini give this "cheese" a distinct sour and cheddary flavor.

This cheese is supposed to harden (mine just about has at this point), but I was so excited with how delicious it tasted when I made it that I had to share it with you right away. As always, I was eating this straight out of my food processor, amazed with all of the delicious (and healthy) foods that I can make with it.

Adapted from: Simple 3 Ingredient Cashew Cheese Recipe.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked and rinsed
1/2 cup sauerkraut started (the leftover water)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp. tahini
Pinch of salt

Instructions:

1. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.

2. Let the "cheese" sit out either in a food dehydrator for a few hours or out on the counter for a day or so. It should harden.


11 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic! Tahini is such a great addition! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe and will definitely give it a try :)

    Best wishes from another law student ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me. Ahhh...the joy of law school. Lol. ❤ My heart goes out to you!

      Delete
  3. And THIS is why I love MoFo! Found you in the 'Fo Feed, and SO glad I did. I've been really looking for a more "cheddar" like cashew cheese, and this will be first up after the 'Fo is ova :-)

    XO
    Dawn
    Vegan Fazool Blog
    Homesteading it in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm glad that you found me too! ❤ Can't wait to check out your blog.

      Delete
  4. YUM! I added this to my "to try" Vegan Mofo Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/vegangela/vegan-mofo-2012/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome, and where is part one, am checking the sidebar...I wanna try this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Here's part one: http://butyesidoeatpotatoes.blogspot.com/2012/08/adventures-in-vegan-cheese-making.html (I don't know why it doesn't say "Part 1." Haha.

      Delete
    2. ^ Oh cool! Will click that right now. Thanks:)

      Delete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...