Lessons and Gripes of Vegan Life:
Here's a list of some of the mistakes that I've made and lessons that I've learned since going vegan:
1. A lot of vegetarian products are not vegan: most Morningstar products include both egg and milk products. Even some of Boca's products contain non-vegan ingredients.
2. Unfortunately for us former McDonald's fries lovers, their fries are NOT vegetarian. They're made with beef flavoring.
3. Make sure to check pre-made vegetable soups for chicken or beef stock and/or dairy products. A lot of them are made with chicken, beef stock, or dairy products. (See text above ☝).
4. Baked beans are usually made with pork. Get around this by buying vegetarian baked beans instead.
5. Gnocchi and/or dumplings are generally made with eggs. Check the ingredients to make sure, and if you can't make any without eggs, make your own! (I will include a recipe very soon).
6. I learned this one the hard way after my obsession with gummy bears in Spain last summer: Gummy bears, marshmallows, and Jello are not vegetarian. They contain gelatin, which is made from meat products. Gelatin is made by boiling what the meat companies have left over: the bones, tissues, hooves, and skin of animals. For more info, read this and this.
What did we learn? - When in doubt, check the ingredients! ❤