Monday, March 25, 2013

Tomato Basil Salad With Vegan Mozzarella Crumbles:

Yum yum yum. This salad was perfect for my Florida day, sunny with a high of 76. It's hard to imagine that some of you are getting snow right now. I'm also loving the fact that the sun is staying out longer. It's so lovely, and it gives me a lot more time to get good pictures for this site. I even have time to go for walks after work now without having to worry about it getting dark out.

Since I last posted, I  had tons of fun at Barrister's Ball, got a little sick, got and started a new (and awesome) job, and have been trying to finish and tie up loose ends at school. Some pretty big decisions are looming; decisions that I thought I already made. But new opportunities are always good, and surprise twists in life keep it exciting. I'd rather be surrounded by doors than walls. Fortunately, I trust my gut pretty well. I somehow seem to have steered myself in the right direction so far, so I'm very confident about what lies ahead of me.

Enough of that, let's get to talking about the food. This tomato, basil, and mozzarella combo is a classic. It's light and delicious, with a subtle hint of sweet basil. The balsamic vinegar gives this salad a nice bite, and the ripe tomatoes will melt in your mouth. I got the mozzarella recipe from Artisan Vegan Life. It's an awesome recipe, and the cheese is pretty easy to make. For all of you stuck in the snow,  eat this salad for a quick reminder that summer is right around the corner (hopefully).

Ingredients:

2 cups tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup vegan mozzarella, crumbled
4 Boston lettuce leaves
1 clove roasted garlic, minced
1 1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. basil (to taste)
1/4 tsp. salt
Dash of black pepper
Dash of cayenne pepper (optional)

Serves 4.
Total Cook Time: 10 minutes 
(not including the time it takes to make the mozzarella)

Instructions:

1. Add all ingredients except the lettuce to a large bowl and toss to coat. If you don't want to mix your mozzarella in, sprinkle it on top once everything else is mixed together.

2.  Serve the salad in the lettuce leaves (as pictured above).

2 comments:

  1. Maybe if I pump the heat and the keep my eyes closed while eating this I can really pretend it's summer. :P Looks awesome! ANd I love your attitude towards life!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...