I adapted this from my previous Vegan Garlic Knots recipe by adding a little whole wheat flour instead of just all purpose flour. The result: nuttier and heartier rolls that are still light and buttery + more nutrients and grains.
Serve them with a delicious bowl of Tomato & Barley Soup, Garlic & Cherry Tomato Fettuccine, or with a heaping scoop of Vegan Corn and White Bean Summer Salad. Let me know what you think! ❤❤❤
For the Dough:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tsp. yeast + 1/4 cup warm water (I totally forgot to add the tsp. of sugar! - it turned out fine)
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. + 1 pinch salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 cup garlic "butter" (recipe below).
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water in a small bowl, and let it sit about 10 minutes (until foamy). Add the flours, salt, pepper, and oregano to a large bowl.
2. Once the yeast is ready, mix the yeast mixture, the olive oil, and the water in with the dry ingredients. Knead until a tacky and elastic dough has formed, about 10 minutes. Roll the dough into a ball, spray or brush with oil, cover, and let rise for an hour to an hour and a half.
3. After the dough has risen, divide it in half, and roll it out into two 12 inch by 6 inch squares. Cut each square into 6 inch by 1 inch strips. Preheat your oven to 350, and grease a round pie pan.
4. Take each strip and knot it. Place each knot in the pie pan. Spray or brush with oil and a pinch of salt.
5. Let the knots rise for another 20 to 30 minutes.
6. Once the knots are ready, bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Halfway through baking, brush the garlic knots generously with the garlic “butter” (recipe below). Continue baking until the knots are golden-brown. Let cool.
7. Coat the knots with the remaining garlic butter and serve.
8 cloves garlic, minced or diced¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
½ cup Earth Balance buttery spread
¼ cup olive oil
Dash of salt
1. While the dough is rising, add all ingredients to a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring every few minutes.