Sunday, August 26, 2012

Adventures in Vegan "Cheese" Making:

Ultimate "Cheese" Sauce:

Because my books for the semester had yet to arrive and since it was kind of hurricaning outside, I decided to have a lazy Sunday, make a trip to Whole Foods, and venture further into vegan "cheese" making. I did, however, experience a small lapse in judgment in thinking that going to Whole Foods on a Sunday would be relaxing. It was a zoo in there: people were everywhere. I must've said "excuse me" at least ten times and I probably ran into at least five people. To top it off, I pretty much spent a small fortune. However, I should be stocked up on cashews for most of the semester/ year, and the "cheeses" that I plan to make with the ingredients that I bought should definitely be worth it (and I actually did enjoy being at Whole Foods).

Anyways, this cheese sauce is very good and can be used with just about anything: chips, toast, veggies, pasta, and pizza...not to mention the fact that it only takes 10 minutes to make.

I adapted this recipe from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook's recipe for Melty White Cheez. If you are at all interested in knowing more about making non-dairy cheese, you should definitely get this book. It has cheese sauce recipes, salad recipes, block cheese recipes, dessert recipes, and a full description of the ingredients that people often use when making non-dairy cheese. It's a good book for the curious too. 

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups plain (unsweetened) almond milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tbsp. tahini
1 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. salt (I used Kosher salt)
1/4 tsp. paprika

Instructions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.

2. Next, place mixture in a medium saucepan and heat on medium to medium-high heat until the sauce has reached a smooth and thick consistency. Enjoy.


Today's Whole Foods Finds:


3 comments:

  1. Yes, this sauce is delicious!!:)
    Have made something similar to it before, except with lower-carb flours.
    Had never heard of this uncheese book, will check it out [I've been vegan for a couple of years, there's still a lot I don't know.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I haven't made this in awhile. I'm going to have to get this cookbook back out. There's some really good recipes in it! :)

      Delete
  2. Did you change the cheese recipe from the cookbook, or leave it the same?

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...