Thursday, April 11, 2013

Tomatoes Everywhere:

Monday, I came home to this big box of beautiful Houweling's tomatoes. It was the perfect evening. The weather was gorgeous, and I was loving picking the grape and cherry tomatoes out of the box, eating them by the handful while enjoying the sunset from my patio. I felt like a little kid. The vine ripe cherry tomatoes smelled of my grandma's garden in summertime, and it brought back memories of all of my summer adventures in the woods behind our house. Memories of picking perfectly plump, purple blackberries, building forts, catching salamanders, camping out, climbing trees, and pretending to be Pocahontas with my cousin. I'd like to thank Houweling's and their tomatoes for taking me on such a nice trip down memory lane. And aren't the tomatoes just so pretty?

Anyways, I've decided to come up with some creative tomato recipes that enhance the ingredient while really highlighting its flavors. I have also been enjoying eating them in their natural, delicious form. There may be nothing more perfect than a ripe tomato. Think about it....(no further explanation necessary).

I know that I just did a pesto recipe, but this one is a little different. It has spinach and pistachios in it. I also added a little bit of lemon juice. The pistachios and lemon juice highlight the flavor of the tomatoes, while the spinach lends a summery feel. By the way, these cherry tomatoes are delicious. They're ripe and full of flavor. If you come across Houweling's Tomatoes, I definitely recommend that you pick some up and try this recipe for yourself.

Cherry Tomatoes in Spinach, Pistachio, and Garlic Pesto:

Ingredients:

1 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/2 cup baby spinach, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp. pistachios, shelled + 1/2 tbsp. pistachios, shelled and chopped
1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Dash of salt

You'll also need:

4 flour tortillas (6 inch), cut into fours
Spray olive oil
Dash of salt

Instructions:

1. Add the spinach, garlic, pistachios, 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, and lemon juice to your food processor. Process until the mixture is fine.
2. Add the spinach mixture to a small saucepan. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Preheat your oven to broil. Place to tortilla chips on a baking sheet, spray with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden-brown.
4. While the chips are baking, add the cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tbsp. of olive oil, and a dash or two of salt to a medium bowl. Toss to coat.
5. Next, add the spinach mixture and toss to coat. Top the mixture with the remaining chopped pistachios. Serve with the baked tortilla chips and a side of hummus. 

4 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous box to arrive home to! You've put them to good use too - this looks like a beautifully simple dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes and pesto exude summer to me! What a fresh flavored delicious meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I've pretty much been living off tomatoes this week. I love it.

      Delete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...