Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Vegan Wheat Berry Salad with Strawberries and Spinach:

This is the first time that I've had wheat berries.They've been sitting in my pantry for a few months now, and I finally decided to use them when I was inspired by Joanne's  Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Wheat Berry Salad Recipe that she posted a few days ago. Hers looks delicious. While her recipe has a savory twist, I made this for a late breakfast/ early lunch before class, so mine has fruity and sweet flavors with a touch of balsamic vinaigrette. I forgot to add chopped walnuts, but they would go very well in this salad (so would pine nuts).

By the way, wheat berries are a true whole grain, and they're packed with protein and fiber. They have a nutty flavor and go well in all sorts of dishes, from hearty breakfasts to fancy dinners. They're also super comforting and delicious. I'm definitely planning on eating wheat berries very often now that I've gotten my first taste of them.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups uncooked wheat berries
1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, cut in half with stems removed
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
2 tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. agave nectar (optional)
Either: 1 tsp. dried basil, or 1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves (thinly chopped)
1/4 tsp. salt
 Dash of ground cinnamon

Serves 4.
Total Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Instructions:

1. Add the wheat berries and  about 6 1/2 cups of water to a large sauce pot. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for an hour. Strain under cold water and add to a large salad bowl.
2. Next, add the strawberries, blueberries, spinach, and basil. Toss to coat.
3. Add the salt, balsamic vinaigrette, olive oil, cinnamon, and agave nectar. Toss to coat and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Wheat berries are on my 'to try' list! This looks gorgeous - I really do need to find some soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. using wheat berries in a sweeter application is downright genius!! I am definitely trying this once strawberries come into season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fortunately for me, strawberries are already in season in Florida. :)

      Delete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...