Sunday, October 21, 2012

Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge: Potatoes and Sesame:

The ingredients for this week's Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge are: Potatoes and Sesame, so I decided to make:

Vegan Redskin Potato and Kale Gnocchi in a White Wine and Sesame Reduction.


This gnocchi recipe is quicker because I used mashed potatoes instead of riced potatoes. My grandma taught me how to rice potatoes and make potato dumplings before, but I don't remember, so I'm going to have to have her give me a refresher lesson next time I'm home. 

Anyways, although the gnocchi didn't turn out as pretty as I had hoped,  it ended up being delicious, and the white wine and sesame sauce has left my taste buds in Heaven all day. I originally intended on using a white sauce, but I threw the tomato paste in last minute. I'm glad I did. I hope you like it!

Important: make sure that you don't boil the gnocchi on high. My first try was a little bit of a disaster...I ended up with mushy gnocchi. :( The dough is very delicate, so it's important that you don't over boil it.

Ingredients:

2 cups redskin potatoes, cut into one-inch chunks
1 1/2 cups kale, ripped into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup almond milk
1/3 cup Earth Balance or other non-dairy buttery spread
1 tsp. parsley
1 tsp. sweet (or hot) paprika (you can also use cayenne for a kick)

1 cup all purpose flour, plus another 1/2 cup or so for dusting
1tsp. olive oil
2 tsp. Kosher salt

3/4 cup white cooking wine
2 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Dash of salt
Dash of black pepper
Roasted sesame seeds

Serves 4.
Total Cook Time: an hour or so.

Instructions:

1. First, boil and mash the potatoes. Add them to a large pot and boil until tender, 12 to 15 minutes, adding the kale in during the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking. Drain, reserving a tiny bit of the cooking water (1/8 cup-ish?).  Return to the pot, and mix in the almond milk, Earth Balance, parsley, and paprika. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Make sure that they are completely mashed. Set aside and let cool for at least 10 minutes.


2. Bring a few cups of water and the 2 tsp. of salt to a simmer/ very soft boil in another large saucepan. While it's coming to a boil, mix the mashed potatoes with the flour and a little bit of olive oil. Shape it into a ball, divide it into 3 smaller dough balls, and then roll each ball into a thin "snake" (about 1/2 inch wide - pictured below). Add flour as necessary to keep the dough sticking together. Cut off small pieces, press with a fork, and toss into the boiling water. Remove each piece of gnocchi from the water with a slotted spoon when it floats to the top of the pot. Place the gnocchi in a bowl.


3. In a medium saucepan, bring the cooking wine, sesame oil, tomato paste, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to a boil. Boil for 5 to 10 minutes, until the flavors have begun to integrate and the sauce has begun to thicken. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. (You can wash the dishes and clean up while the sauce is cooking).

4. Once the sauce is done, pour it over the gnocchi. Serve with steamed kale, asparagus, cabbage, or with sauteed bell peppers.Garnish with roasted sesame seeds.



6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I like the idea of adding kale to gnocchi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really really ridiculously good! So glad they featured on Vegan MoFo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ❤ Thanks! It turned out better than I thought it would too. I wasn't sure about the sauce, but it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awsome, I've been wanting to make my own gnocchi for some time... You think I dare try my hand at this recipe??? #scared

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's not too difficult, just make sure to bring the water to a simmer, not a boil, and then remove them from the water as soon as they float to the top. Other than that, it was easier than I thought. :)

      Delete

Leave some love...it's always appreciated! ♡♡♡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...